I decided to “push” my recipe of cottonwood salve today and finish it up for my use. I took my quart of oil infused poplar buds and:1) Crushed the buds using a fruit mill. Do this over a large pot.
2) Place crushed buds and oil into the large pot. Add 3 cups of water.
3) Cook this at a high simmer for about 1/2 hour.
4) Strain through a cheesecloth into a bowl.
5) Place in the freezer for about 2 hours.
6) The oil floats on the water, separate the layers.
7) Place the hardened oil back in its original container.
8) Put 2 tablespoons of shaved bees wax per 1 cup of oil in the container.
9) Melt the beeswax into the oil using a double boiler (I used a solar oven).
10) Pour into small canning jars and let salve cool for 8 hours.Very labor intensive…..but the product is worth it!